Sunday, September 21, 2008

Mix One Part Hippie to Two Parts Business Woman to Three Parts Glam to One Part Disney Princess to Four Parts Vixen-the taking advantage of men

And you have me.

Well, kind of.

I learned something about myself this weekend. As much as I do "new age" type reading and energy work and emotional healing, I'm so not a "New Ager." I cannot possibly fit the stereotype because I'm way too posh. I don't mean this in a egotistical or narcissistic way. It's just true. I'm never going to wear flowly hippie gowns or not shower or not shave or not pluck my eyebrows. It's just not me.

Yes, I'm bringing out the catty judgemental side of me, but it's also the sarcastic and funny side of me too. I did a reiki share today at a clinic downtown. WTF is all I have to say. People are just so weird. Sooo freaking weird. Am I this weird too?

I'm changing.

I spent the weekend up north with my good friends. A lot of fun. The things I want in life are simple. I find myself not loving doing energy work anymore as much as I love doing theraputic muscle work. I love the fact that I knew how to fix Stacy's leg this weekend. That to me is really cool.

It's like the hippie in me is slowly dying, or was never much there to begin with. I still love going to the farmer's market and using organic and natural products when I can and complimentary medicine, but damn it, I wear lipstick!

I'm slowly realizing this blog has pretty much no point. I guess in a nutshell is that today, I realized how fucking weird some "new age" people can be. And I'm not necessarily worried about how I look to others, but I'm realizing just how judgemental I can be. I was surrounded by "oh everything is beautiful" and blah blah blah by people I didn't fit in with. It was awkward and annoying.

One girl said, "My dream is to have a donations only clinic" ok great...that's a lot of people's dreams...but how are you going to pay your bills and what are you doing to make that happen in your life? Nothing. I'm getting irked by people who say that they want things to change and do things but then don't take action to make it happen. If you don't take action, you go nowhere. And I like going somewhere. Even if it's just up to Wausau for the weekend.

4 comments:

jordan said...

I wouldn't say this blog has no point. A blog lets you hold yourself accountable. You can talk about your plans and put your opinions in print where other people can give feedback. I may have a general feeling about something, but writing about it forces me to carefully evaluate what supports my position and what the opposing viewpoint might be. You get a chance to think about how your message might be received by people that don't know you -- as well as by people that do. And if you say one thing but do another, you might get called on it...by someone else, or by yourself. It's a form of personality and intellect development, conducted transparently in public. It helps keep you honest to yourself. And also, fuck hippies.

mle428 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mle428 said...

When I was 21, I went to the Willie Street co-op to get some food because I was cooking dinner for my boyfriend. I was wearing lipstick and a dress and was genuinely happy that day. As I was leaving a man out front said to me, "Beware of the narcissus," which was a far more judgemental and narrow-minded comment than I have ever made to a perfect stranger.

This was the beginning of my theory: In Madison, "Hippie" is short for "Hypocrite." It was also the first time that I thought to myself, "I have got to get out of here..."

Rock your lipstick and your high heels you fabulous vixen, you. You know that "art" is not a bunch of tin cans hot glued together, and that underarm crystals ARE NOT deodorant.

You also know how to love the lipsticks and the patchoulis equally...I *heart* you.

Jess Dragonfly said...

Emily Miller is the coolest chick I know.