Monday, July 2, 2007

It's Only a Story

I work in customer service for a very high end appliance company. Most of the people who call me each and every day have more money than I could see in a lifetime, and everyone's problems are just "horrible" according to them.

These problems can range anywhere from hundreds of thousands of dollars in wine spoiling because their wine storage went out to fingerprints on the stainless steel finish. Naturally, I get paid to be empathetic to these people, but most of the times I just want to scream, "Shut the frack up!! Do you even KNOW what its like to have a real problem, or an important issue to deal with?" Obviously I have those feelings more toward the Beverly Hills Housewives that call to complain about fingerprints and the refrigerator door not shutting on it's own than the people who call with a genuine problem, but all and all toward the end of the day, I'm tired of it and don't care anymore.

The point is, people just want to be heard. They want to know that you hear them regardless of what you may be going through at the time. It's a basic human need. It doesn't matter what your "story" is....the guy you like doesn't even see you, you're broke, you're having problems with friendships...whatever it is...it's just a story. How long must I cling to my "story?" Does anyone even hear me? It seems the more I want my story to be heard, the less people care or listen. Maybe I really don't communicate clearly.

It's time to just let it go. A story is just a story...but the way you choose to read it is what matters. Will I read it with care and concern? With tears and frustration? Or will I laugh and giggle and make sound effects and funny faces while I read it?

It may just be a story. But it's your story. Read it to others how you'd want it to be read to you.

No comments: